If you've been arrested for theft, robbery or burglary in West Chester or Reading, Pennsylvania, you need a criminal defense lawyer. Our law office defends those facing a wide assortment of theft crimes – it doesn't matter if it involved shoplifting, money or a car or truck.
When you face a theft crime conviction, having a firm on your side with over 17 years of experience is a tremendous asset. Contact Law Offices of Kelly & Conte today at 610-314-7066.
Theft In West Chester
Theft in Pennsylvania can be divided into the following three categories:
- Summary offense: While not a misdemeanor or felony, this offense has the potential to stay on your record. It applies when the item stolen was worth less than $50. Penalties include up to 90 days in jail and a fine that ranges between $25 and $1,500.
- Third-degree misdemeanor: If the value stolen falls within the range of $50 and $200, you risk misdemeanor-level penalties.
- Felony-level offense: If more than $2,000 was stolen or the item was a vehicle, boat or plane, those arrested face a second-degree felony conviction. If the item was a firearm, a conviction is considered a first-degree felony. Penalties may exceed $25,000 and those convicted may face more than 10 years in jail.
Other Related Crimes
Robbery is another serious charge. If force was involved or an innocent person was harmed as the crime was committed, those convicted face up to 10 years in jail. This is considered a second-degree felony. If the injury proved to be serious or life-threatening, the crime is considered a first-degree felony. The sentence could lead to 20 years in jail.
A related crime, burglary, applies if the police suspect a person went into a building, home or other establishment with the express purpose to take something or commit a crime. Intent is key here, and if your defense lawyer can show that there was no intent, charges may be dropped.
Experienced Criminal Defense
Every situation is different, and the facts of each case vary significantly. Regardless, our commitment is to vigorously defend you from all charges. We typically seek to do one of the following:
- Have charges reduced
- Work to see charges are dropped
- Seek to have penalties reduced
It's important to talk to an attorney if you were accused of theft. Call Law Offices of Kelly & Conte right away at 610-314-7066.